Monday, May 2, 2016

Patience

Well,

It was a fun week full of divisions and hard work. In our mission here in Chile, we focus a lot on the divisions, and usually do two a week to help the missionaries and to set goals with them. It’s great because I’ve gotten to know a lot of missionaries here in Ochagavia from all over the world. From Argentina and Chile, to Paraguay, Brazil, Colombia, and of course the US. It’s amazing to see how the gospel pulls us together and makes us all Latter-day Saints. So to help you understand more about what I’m doing every week it’s important to know that a lot of times I’m with other missionaries. Even though it’s rough to sleep in another apartment and people end up eating all your food for breakfast back in your own apartment, divisions help advance the work. To give you an example, last week I was with Elder Montero from Costa Rica, and he's a convert of a about 4 years and a great missionary. I learned a little bit more about his family and how after he got baptized his mostly Catholic family supported him but didn't listen to the missionaries. After a few years his Mom decided to listen and ended up getting baptized. He then told me that when he completed 6 months or so on the mission his dad got baptized. Happy day for him! Hearing his strong testimony and teaching at his side strengthened my own testimony. 

Other than the divisions, the week was full of lessons and finding. My Sector, La Victoria, is so much fun. Let’s just say there’s never… and I mean never... a boring day here. It’s been hard these last couple of weeks to help the people progress. After a dismal, rainy Sunday, but mostly dismal in terms of Sacrament meeting attendance, I was a little discouraged. We had few people at church and though it’s happened before it’s still feels like a week’s worth of work was wasted. Anyways siting there and reflecting on the week and listening to the testimonies, I read a scripture that made me chuckle. It was comforting, while at the same time a little sad. In D&C 24:8 it says, "Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days."

Like I said I just smiled when I read it because it’s so true...I love the scriptures. I better try to learn to be patient now because at my old age of 20 the afflictions have only just begun. I love the Gospel.

Love you all so much and can’t wait to see you on Sunday at 7 my time.


Elder Walker