Monday, September 15, 2014

Libre Soy!

Hola,

Libre Soy!!! Libre Soyyyyy!!!

So I'm free! I'm out the CCM in the big bad world, and it's awesomely hard. My life is a giant paradox--I feel like I've learned a lot and that I haven't learned anything. I'm just trying to figure things out. Anyways my companion is from Utah (I can't remember where in Utah) but he's a baller. Elder Brown is a lot like me; I hope at least. He's hard working, really smart, and the members love him. He's super humble and honestly hasn't said one mean thing to me, so I'm really grateful for an awesome trainer. So grateful.

Story time--this one is for Dad. So we were with Jóse, who is an investigator with a baptismal date, and we were at his house because he had just wrecked his car and was super sad. He was planning on selling it, but after the crash it wasn’t worth as much. Anyways, we were talking about car crashes, and I’m like usual just trying to figure out what the heck is going on because I have no idea what the vocab for a car wreck is. So my comp shares a car wreck story of his own then asks me if a have been in a car accident. I told them about me flipping my car. Actually, I acted out charades style my car rolling because I can’t speak Spanish, and I showed him my scars. Haha. It was awesome, but the best part was after that I asked him if he had seen the Jeff Gordon crash video (Dad you know what I’m talking about), and he said no. So we had him look it up and watched it with him before we shared a spiritual message. It was so much fun!! I can’t wait for Jóse’s baptism.

Thanks for all the encouragement. At times this seems impossibly hard. It is so hard not being able to talk to anyone. I promise that I’m going to learn this language. I’m going to learn how to be a missionary. I’m going to learn how to talk to people without fear. I’m going to turn my biggest weaknesses into my biggest strengths by the end of my mission. That’s what I say to myself. That’s the promise that God gives us in Ether 12 when we come unto him with humility. I am holding on to that promise. I am learning how to fail because I do it about 100 times a day.

Okay, I have to write Nick so we'll see if I have time for pictures, but before that one more story. This happened about two weeks ago, but it’s been a long time since I’ve written. Elder Brush, my old companion, and I were out in front of the CCM just sitting there like we always do during a break, and a few people walked up. They were kind of laughing at us because we werre doing 360's. Elder Brush was explaining to me how to ski. So they walked up and a man kind of looked at me and then walked over to shake my hand like everyone does. After that though this girl walks up, and I put my hand out for a handshake, but she just stepped up and got a little too close. (In my mind I was thinking this is a little weird, and why is she getting so close for a handshake?) Then she gave me a kiss on the cheek. Haha. She was more embarrassed than I was as I explained that missionaries don’t do the whole cheek kiss thing that they all do here in South America.

Yep, so that’s that. I’m in Chile. I’m alive. My area is a small city called Islita (or Little Island in English). I’m in the Talagante zone. It’s in the country and I love it. The people are amazing and super nice. I love them so much even though I can’t even talk to them. Well, life keeps going. Love you all. No temas, cree solamente.

I love you a lot!
Elder Walker
Hermana Barreiros, Elder Brown, me, President Barreiros