Tuesday, December 1, 2015

December's Here

Hello All!

Last week was a blast, but the temperature is getting super hot, which tends to make the work a little bit more difficult. I'm not complaining. I love it here and as a Vegas boy don't mind the heat, but I sweat pretty much the whole day. For example, yesterday we taught a lesson at about 8:30 at night right before we had to go home, and I sat down for 30 minutes. When I stood up, I was still sweating. It's good though because sometimes people see us in the heat and let us in their houses :) With stake conference and a surprise reunion for Thanksgiving, I got to spent a lot of time learning from church leaders. There were a few things that caught my attention. 


1. 1 Nephi 14:14


And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.


This first scripture was something that President said in the talk he gave to the stake. He talked about the calamities and disasters that would happen and have happened in our days. He said that even though we are few, as testified by Nephi, we have promised blessings and power. It was a scripture that i needed and an answer to my prayers. That same day in the church we didn't manage to bring anyone and spent the whole month of November working harder than ever with few results. I believe these words; however, and know that God has given us more power and more strength today to confront the trials in our life. 


2.Lucas 15:8-10


 8 Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?

9 And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.
10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

The second scripture was shared by a member of the 70. Now you're going to have to forgive me because I cant remember his name, but on Saturday he gave a talk for us in the priesthood session. He talked a little bit about church attendance and the importance of the Sabbath day reinforcing the message of the prophets and apostles. Saying that proper church attendance will give us the strength to stay on the path of righteousness. Then he talked about those that have fallen away from the church and shared the scripture above. Christ in Luke 15 uses three parables one of the lost sheep, the second of the lost piece of silver and the last of the prodigal son. Each having importance, but he said that the sheep and the son were lost because they wondered off but the silver was lost because it wasn't taken care of. How many people in the church get lost because of our negligence? I loved it. We have to do everything to help our brothers stay on this path of righteousness. 


I'm doing great and am more and more anxious to talk with the family this Christmas. It's come fast. 


Love, 


Elder Walker
Mission Thanksgiving Dinner!